Calendar events not displaying

Support for the WordPress Calendar plugin
sfkendo

Calendar events not displaying

Unread post by sfkendo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi there. Thanks for your wonderful plugin, its been serving us well until this hiccup:

The calendar, for some reason I can't sort out, is no longer displaying events.The page it's displayed on is:
http://sanfranciscokendo.org/?page_id=92

We've got all our past events in the DB, and the admin is working fine. We've added some events in the future as well, which also aren't being displayed.

Currently using WB 3.5.1, considering upgrading to 3.7.1 in case it helps, but thought I'd ask here first.
Upgraded Calendar to 1.3.3, made no difference.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Cheers!

Konaque

Re: Calendar events not displaying

Unread post by Konaque » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm having this same problem. We've added with 2 different login names and it happens each time. We had the calendar as a sub-menu, then switched it to the main menu and those events displayed. Then added additional events and they didn't show on the cal. Switched it back to sub-menu and they all showed... All these events show fine in the Events Manager list. Why are they displaying randomly?? PS. I really like this calendar. We are actually using it for docent volunteer sign-up calendar. We have all docents using the same login at 'Contributor' access.

Konaque

Unread post by Konaque » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:17 pm

I also wanted to add to my above reply ...our calendar is on a WP 'page', not a posting page. Could this be an issue? Do we have to go to the Page and 'Update' after adding new events? That seems difficult for docents who only have 'contributor' access.

Thanks for any assistance.

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:15 am

sfkendo, have just looked at your site and I can see events fine?

Konaque

Unread post by Konaque » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Yes, their fine because an admin user goes into the WP calendar page and presses 'Update' to make sure all new events entered show up on the public calendar. The problem is the users with low user level can enter a calendar event but cannot go into the WP calendar page and press update. So the calendar will not show what they added until an admin user goes in a presses Update on the Calendar page.

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Do you have WP Super Cache or some other similar type of plugin installed to cache pages? My thinking here is that calendar content is dynamic, but perhaps your cache is not updating unless the update date/time of the page on which it sits has changed, which of course calendar will not do. If you do have such a plugin installed, does it have such a setting to exclude certain pages from caching? If so you should set the calendar page as such. If not then they'll need to be some hook added so that when calendar is updated the page on which calendar sits is "touched" so that the cache is purged and the page re-generated.

Konaque

Unread post by Konaque » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:07 am

Hi Kieran, I've been away....

I didn't originally build this site, but I looked in Plugin and WP Super Cache is there, but it is not activated. We are using a 'Headway Base' theme template. Any ideas? We still have to have someone go in an Update the WP calendar page to show events that have been added to the Calendar.

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:36 pm

There are other ways of caching... but for now we'll assume these are not to blame.

What you need to do is disable all your plugins apart from Calendar, and revert your theme to default. Then try and add an event and check that the calendar page updates. If it does, re-enable your theme and try again. If that works then start re-enabling your plugins one by one, testing an event save each time and making sure the page updates. Hopefully you'll find the plugin/theme that is causing the problem that way.

Keep me posted

Konaque

Unread post by Konaque » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Hello Kieran,

We were having glitches with our WP site and have since go it back up. However, I am still having trouble with the calendar. It takes a new event fine, and it views fine while your logged in the WP site, but when you logout and choose to view the calendar page in the WP site we now get this message at the bottom of the screen which I have attached.

"Do you want to open or save docentcalenar.gz (5.08KB) from waimeaartscouncil.org?"

Neither Open or Save gets me into the Calendar. It brings up this (attached) box that I am unfamiliar with. If I go into the WP Page and Update the page, this box doesn't pop up. So I'm back to where I was on the original problem of having to Update the page each new added event. I only have your Calendar plugin and a social media plugin activated at this time. Do you know where this new message came from and what to do to update my calendar page without physically going in each time?
Attachments
message.jpg
Message box that pops up after trying to go to Calendar page on WP site after adding new event and loggin out.
message.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 16433 times

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:44 pm

Yes, something is really wrong with your site here - all pages, not just calendar, are causing a download to users browser. My advice is to deactivate all plugins and try and visit a normal page on your site. If that works, re-activate calendar and try and visit that. If that works then start re-activating your other plugins until you get the issue returning.

If you still get the issue with vanilla WordPress and no plugins then I suggest you post on the WordPress forums in the first instance and if that fails to help then contact your web host as it may be related to server/account configuration.