WP + Forum

Code, theory, systems admin, bizarre errors etc.
randie

WP + Forum

Unread post by randie » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:10 am

Hi, Kieran.

I really like your forum and would like to include something similar to my son's school's Wordpress website.

My questions:

1) Which forum software are you using for this forum? (I've been looking into bbpress, and wondered if this forum is a bbpress forum.)

2) How did you integrate it with your WP theme?

3) How did you integrate it with your WP database, specifically for user registrations/logins?

Thanks!

Randie
Oregon, USA

Kieran

Re: WP + Forum

Unread post by Kieran » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:21 pm

randie wrote:1) Which forum software are you using for this forum? (I've been looking into bbpress, and wondered if this forum is a bbpress forum.)
phpBB
randie wrote:2) How did you integrate it with your WP theme?
I'm a dab hand with HTML and CSS so I simply modified the phpBB theme to fit.
randie wrote:3) How did you integrate it with your WP database, specifically for user registrations/logins?
I didn't. WordPress and phpBB are separate in everything except look and feel.

randie

Unread post by randie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks, Kieran!

barryw

Unread post by barryw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:42 pm

First off, I have to say that is was a real pleasure to finally see a site that has successfully integrated WordPress and phpBB. Superb work!

I do have a couple of questions, related to what the original poster asked.

I would like to assume that you are using WP 2.8.+ for your site and phpBB 3.+ for the forum. I hope this is correct.

I have been attempting to do what you have here for a while now, and I'm getting stuck, but not ready to give it up yet. I would like to wrap the phpBB installation with the header, wp generated menu, and footer from my WP installation. phpBB resides as a folder in the WP installation (mysite/forums) and WP is installed at the root of mysite.

The problem I am having is getting the WP required code into the phpBB standard overall_header.html file and successfully get a return from WP to use their functions. Everything I have tried so far stops inside WP and never returns to the overall_header code.

Would you be willing to share the code that you inserted to get your site to work like this? I'm not looking to re-theme phpBB, just to be able to use WP function calls inside the overall_header file.

Thanks - and again - one great looking site!
Barry

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:43 pm

barryw wrote:First off, I have to say that is was a real pleasure to finally see a site that has successfully integrated WordPress and phpBB. Superb work!
barryw wrote:The problem I am having is getting the WP required code into the phpBB standard overall_header.html file and successfully get a return from WP to use their functions. Everything I have tried so far stops inside WP and never returns to the overall_header code.

Would you be willing to share the code that you inserted to get your site to work like this? I'm not looking to re-theme phpBB, just to be able to use WP function calls inside the overall_header file.
The "trick" if you can call it that is not to do any integration ;)

All I've done is themed phpBB to be the same as the rest of my site. The only functions that are cross-product are the ones I have written myself and I access those by including a generic functions file across both sites; phpBB cannot access WordPress and WordPress cannot access phpBB.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best :)

barryw

Unread post by barryw » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:16 am

Kieran wrote:The "trick" if you can call it that is not to do any integration ;)

All I've done is themed phpBB to be the same as the rest of my site. The only functions that are cross-product are the ones I have written myself and I access those by including a generic functions file across both sites; phpBB cannot access WordPress and WordPress cannot access phpBB.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best :)
Brilliant - absolutely brilliant! I had to ponder on your answer for a while, but when the concept finally took roots, I realized that the solution really is a simple. It would certainly take fewer hours to implement that way than it would to hack through every open-source package that you would want to "integrate" into a site package, plus your own code.

Thank you very much,
Barry

SRTM

Unread post by SRTM » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:17 am

Hello Kieran!

I am using your calendar plugin without any trouble at all. Thanks.

I want to embed my forum into a page on my website as well. I have a WP 2.8 site and I also have a PHPBB3.

Was the amount of coding you had to do extensive? It seems that you and Barry are good at coding but I don't know any.

I have found a plugin called WP-United but it seems too much. I don't really want to integrate WP & PHPBB3. Just have the forum embedded on a page without the PHPBB3 header showing.

Is there a tutorial you could provide on which code you changed?
Thanks a lot.

My website is http://www.srtm.org

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:30 am

SRTM wrote:Is there a tutorial you could provide on which code you changed?
Thanks a lot.
Not really, I just changed the phpBB3 theme HTML (headers etc.) to be the same as my WordPress header HTML, and included the same HTML files. I can't really offer much more help than that as everyone's themes are different - you do really need to know some coding to do a good job on something like this.

lydiaparkes52

Unread post by lydiaparkes52 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Hello.... :D

I like your forum. I've learned new things while reading on it. THank you so much .....

kathybrunt

Unread post by kathybrunt » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:56 am

help: The only functions that are cross-product are the ones I have written myself and I access those by including a generic functions file across both sites; phpBB cannot access WordPress and WordPress cannot access phpBB.