WordPress

I host a few websites in return for a link to this site and the odd free pint of beer. If this is you, ask any support questions here
Sy Borg

WordPress

Unread post by Sy Borg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:31 pm

I have a WordPress 2.3.3 installation through Fantastico and I've seen that 2.5 is now available. I assume that the option to upgrade through Fantastico will present itself at some stage as it has with minor version changes. The question is, is it safe to upgrade manually or would this then confuse Fantastico at a later date?

Kieran

Re: WordPress

Unread post by Kieran » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:49 pm

The upgrade option will present its self when fantastico gets updated. When this will be isn't within our control but when fantastico is updated centrally we will pick up the update within a matter of hours.

Upgrading manually is sure to confuse fantastico and will cause you problems later on - we advise against it.

That being said it is worth pointing out that waiting for fantastico to update WordPress (or any other script) *can* result in a security issue that the upgrade was released for being exploited if fantastico doesn't release quick enough.

For this reason our policy of suspending accounts after a relatively short space of time if we consider them to be a security risk remains the case even if fantastico is being used for updates.

To ensure you are patched quickly you should try to install software yourself as then you are in complete control of when it gets patched; assuming you are subscribed to the mailing list for said piece of software you can ensure it is patched as close to release day as possible.

In this case however we don't see the 2.3.3 release as being vulnerable compared with 2.5 and so won't be taking measures to ensure people migrate quickly.

While on the subject of WordPress 2.5 it is also worth noting that it is a significant upgrade and is likely to break your current theme, plugins or both if updates for them that are compatible with 2.5 have not yet been released.

Hope that helps :)

Sy Borg

Unread post by Sy Borg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:53 pm

Yep. Clear as a bell and what I expected. Thanks Kieran.

Sy Borg

Unread post by Sy Borg » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:48 am

Just to close the loop on this:-

I updated Wordpress 2.3.3 to 2.5 manually last night and I'm up and running. There are some clear advantages to the new version in terms of the admin side look and feel.

As far as the upgrade goes there is one tip for anyone else who wants to try this. If you use K2 as your theme on 2.3.3 make sure you move to a different theme before updating as there is a contention between the current RC4 (or earlier) version of K2 and the new Wordpress. This is not currently listed on the upgrade instructions but if you get an error there are a load of posts out there about how to fix it.

What I did was to download a nightly build of K2 and replace the themes directory entirely via FTP and I've confirmed that I no longer get an error (you will lose any customisation of the theme). I'm not convinced though that K2 is working properly yet with Wordpress 2.5 (the sidebar selection screens are not displayed correctly).

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:04 am

Many thanks - I'm sure others will find your advice useful.

When trying to debug themes you might find the diff program useful. That way you can "upgrade" only the parts of your existing theme that need upgrading thereby keeping your customisations.