SMTP port for non SSL connection

I host a few websites in return for a link to this site and the odd free pint of beer. If this is you, ask any support questions here
Sy Borg

SMTP port for non SSL connection

Unread post by Sy Borg » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:40 am

Morning. Has the port for SMTP connections been changed at all? Having just got my wife back on-line she tried to send an email from Thunderbird and it errored. I looked and found that the port was not correct (was set to 25). Is this a change made recently or did Thunderbird somehow forget the setting?

Kieran

Re: SMTP port for non SSL connection

Unread post by Kieran » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:27 am

Port 25 is open for sending mail and receiving connections. If you haven't downloaded mail in the last 30 minutes (or checked for new mail) then SMTP won't work without enabling authentication. Your usernme for this would be your e-mail address and your password the password for that e-mail account.

If that fails to work are you sure your ISP allows outgoing connections on port 25 to anything other than their own mail server?

Sy Borg

Unread post by Sy Borg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:43 am

Kieran wrote:Port 25 is open for sending mail and receiving connections. If you haven't downloaded mail in the last 30 minutes (or checked for new mail) then SMTP won't work without enabling authentication. Your usernme for this would be your e-mail address and your password the password for that e-mail account.
Authentication was enabled and configured as per the the instructions found through cpanel other than the port number.
Kieran wrote: If that fails to work are you sure your ISP allows outgoing connections on port 25 to anything other than their own mail server?
It's a good point. It might be my ISP that has changed their rules and not told anyone. Surely Bulldog wouldn't do that? :o :lol:

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:57 am

I connect through Bulldog and can access port 25 fine, I'm also using thunderbird.

If you continue to get connection issues you can try connecting to our mailserver on the alternative port we have setup for people having problems, port 587, although I'm not sure why this would help in your case as bulldog *do* have port 25 open.

I assume you have checked your local firewall settings and all that jazz?

Sy Borg

Unread post by Sy Borg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:55 am

Kieran wrote:I connect through Bulldog and can access port 25 fine, I'm also using thunderbird.

If you continue to get connection issues you can try connecting to our mailserver on the alternative port we have setup for people having problems, port 587, although I'm not sure why this would help in your case as bulldog *do* have port 25 open.
Yeah, we're using 587 as per the instructions in the email config in cpanel

Code: Select all

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.thelathams.co.uk (server requires authentication) port 587
Kieran wrote: I assume you have checked your local firewall settings and all that jazz?
Yep. This isn't a big issue, it's working fine so I'm not going to worry too much about finding why port 25 isn't working.