Minor Calendar Quibble

Support for the WordPress Calendar plugin
AKCarlow

Minor Calendar Quibble

Unread post by AKCarlow » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:04 pm

and apologies if I've got this in the wrong place.

When I put an event in the calendar with a time of 12:00 it appears in the sidebar as 12:00pm instead of 12:00 noon.

Kieran

Re: Minor Calendar Quibble

Unread post by Kieran » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:01 pm

This is because noon is 12:00pm. If it was midnight it would be 12:00am. Midnight and noon are alternative nomenclatures for am and pm at the specific time of 12:00, however PHP (the programming language that WordPress and it's plugins are written in) doesn't have these "baked in" so to speak. See the following link for the possible formats your date/time can take

http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

AKCarlow

Unread post by AKCarlow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:26 pm

The m of pm and am is meridian. The p is post (after) and the a is ante (before). At meridian - noon - it is neither am nor pm. Notionally, 12pm would be 12 after meridian, or midnight! :geek:

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:23 pm

It's certainly an interesting discussion!

I guess it comes down to at what point is it easier to make the switch between the two and the conclusion seems to have been at midday it's self such that for a full 12 hours before midday we are at AM, including midnight, and then a full 12 hours after we are PM, including midday. This is then in harmony with the 24 hour clock way of doing things; we're mapping the 12 hours AM to the first 12 hours of the 24 hour clock, which starts at midnight. Strictly speaking the 12 hour clock should never have the number 12 in it, after all the 24 hour clock doesn't have the number 24!

If we followed this logic then 00:00AM would be midnight and 00:00PM would be midday, representing that in fact only the infinitesimally small fraction of time during which the clock ticks over is it actually noon - the earth doesn't stop moving for even a whole second!

The only problem then (and the point you were making) with this is that at one minute of every day, the terminology sounds wrong. I say one and not two, because at midnight it is both 12 hours before the coming noon and 12 hours after the previous one, so it almost doesn't matter what you call it.

Therefore it seems that for the convenience of the fact that everything works in 24 hours these days, but that we still occasionally need to map the "old" system onto it (hardly, we're still using it, but still), we've sacrificed strict terminology in one minute to get harmony in the remaining 1439. If you include seconds in your time stamp then this oddity only exists for one second, with the remaining 86,399 being quite splendid thank you very much :)