widget dumps events too soon

Support for the WordPress Calendar plugin
mediaseth

widget dumps events too soon

Unread post by mediaseth » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:34 pm

I think the calendar is fantastic and I'm looking forward to the next version. There is one issue I need to correct for "Upcoming Events" in the sidebar, however. I have a City Council Meeting listed for 8pm tonight. It is presently 2:30pm in the afternoon, but it is already gone from my sidebar (but not from the calendar). I believe it vanished from there shortly after midnight. How can I keep events in the widget until they have truly happened? Would it be simpler to somehow keep them until midnight the following day, and how would that be done?

Thanks,
Seth Albaum
lynnhappens.com

Kieran

Re: widget dumps events too soon

Unread post by Kieran » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:11 pm

I imagine that this has something to do with the time zone you are in and the time zone your server is set to. Can you let me know what both of these are?

mediaseth

Unread post by mediaseth » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:19 pm

I am in Eastern Standard Time..as should be my WP site.. as I set it up for that.. not sure what else I can do..how can I make sure?

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:42 pm

It's not what you have WordPress set to but rather what your server is set to. You will probably find that the server differs from EST by precisely the same amount of time as that which the events drop off early by. In other words, your server reaches midnight several hours before your time zone does and so the server will begin displaying the next days events (and remove today's) even though the day hasn't finished for you yet.

mediaseth

Unread post by mediaseth » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:56 pm

I understand what you are saying, but it is not a difference of a few hours. It is precisely an entire day off, with the clock otherwise correct.

Kieran

Unread post by Kieran » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 am

Ah, I understand now - me being slow ;)

What you want is to add the Today's Events widget as well. An event will move from the Upcoming widget to the Today's widget on the stroke of midnight before an event is due to take place. Events taking place at any point today will appear only in the Today's widget and not the upcoming one.

mediaseth

Unread post by mediaseth » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:27 am

Ok, thanks! I hadn't noticed that widget before.. too many widgets in there. Perhaps I was the one who was slow.