Kworker High CPU

After a recent kernel upgrade on my home server I noticed that Kworker was hogging most of the CPU after boot and wasn’t dying down over time. Research online lead me to believe this was due to an ACPI interrupt storm creating a high load. I tested a fix for this by adding the following line to root crontab

@reboot echo "disable" > /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe00

This essentially serves to switch off ACPI and upon reboot I found that CPU usage had indeed returned to normal. As setting ACPI to off has no impact on my home server and what it is used for I decided to leave this tweak in place and to check to see if it was still required when future kernel upgrades come around – this has been a widely reported bug on Ubuntu launchpad.

   

Possibly related articles

Comments are closed.