I suppose it should be called the “Ho, ho, ho!” release given the proximity to Christmas, but no, just another little bug fix release for loyal Calendar users. Tested with the latest version of WordPress and with a couple of annoying niggles fixed, it’s well worth hitting the update button. As usual, any problems in the forums please.
While for many Last FM stopped existing as a service when they ceased their premium subscription radio service, there remains a very viable use for the service that even existed prior to the launch of streaming – “scrobbling”, or in lay man’s terms, the logging of every track you listen to across a variety of services for statistical purposes.
For many years I posted the last 10 tracks I had listened to in the side bar of my website but never released the code I wrote to do this. I had even registered a plugin URL with WordPress for the purpose, but never uploaded the code that powered it. Last night that changed and I’ve released the full plugin code that powers the side bar widget – meet Last FM for WordPress. I’d very much welcome any comments regarding its functionality and also ideas for future development; as my forum suggests I had grand plans for this plugin when I first registered its URL back in 2010 and given the ephemeral nature of Last FM’s future, it may well be wise for me to step up and pursue some of these development goals sooner rather than later!
While 1.3.5 didn’t really merit a posting on account of it being a very small patch type release, 1.3.6 has a bit more meat on the bones.
Translations have made a bold debut into the WordPress plugin repository with a nice GUI for any code-shy translators to assist with their language skills. As such I’m now bundling all translations for Calendar that I have access to with every release. This makes internationalisation easier for users and ensures the plugin is fully compliant with all the repository features.
Other bug fixes were bundled into the release, most notably some performance improvements regarding the checking of the calendar database tables to ensure they were up to date with the code.
In a the next release we’ll be looking at a substantial tidy-up of the code, an attempt to move closer to some of the newer (and nicer) features of the latest WordPress version and some serious performance improvements regards the loading of events from the database.
After over two years of no updates to my calendar plugin for WordPress I’ve pushed out a change tonight. Even two years ago fixes had, for some time, been purely tweaks based on bug reports. While this latest change is not to be described as a significant update, it does more to the code than just playing around at the sidelines.
As with most code that is released to the community and then largely forgotten about save for the odd tweak, times change and what is accepted practice moves on. This is exactly what has happened with Calendar and it was high time to look at how it performed with the latest version of WordPress, review the latest best practice of the plugin repository and push out fixes to a few bugs that had been rumbling along in the support forums without fixes for too long.
I hope this release will be welcome for long term users of the plugin and for those who’ve never used it, a release after so long will push it back into the visible sections of the plugin repository so why not check it out?
During a trip to Finland to celebrate Chris and Elina’s pending wedding, Shweta and I took the opportunity to take in the sights and do a spot of hiking in one the national parks
Driving over 3000 kilometres on bone rattling roads, traversing vast national parks on foot, strolling on wind swept beaches and scaling dizzyingly high bird cliffs to get a glimpse of nesting puffins – Iceland really gave us her all
Shweta and I stayed with my parents for the weekend and headed into Verulamium park with the zoon lens to capture some shots of the new births on the lake
Everytime I renew my S/MIME certificate I always seem to wind having to consult the OpenSSL man pages to ascertain the approrpiate command to use in order to extract the certificate from the PKCS12 file I get from my certificate authority so I can share said certificate on my contact page. As I’m sure I’m not the only one who winds up having to look this up, I’m sharing it here.
openssl pkcs12 -in container.p12 -clcerts -nokeys -out public.pem
If you then investigate the contents of the PEM file inside a text editor you’ll find your certificate between the BEGIN and END lines – you should share this content on your website or directly with contacts so that your signed e-mails can be verified as to their origin and also so that contacts can encrypt mail such that it can only be read by you if required.