Calendar 1.2 Release Candidate 1

After a slightly longer than expected break since the first beta release of Calendar 1.2 I’ve decided to go straight ahead and release the first (and hopefully only) release candidate of Calendar 1.2.

Since the beta phase I’ve made improvements that not only fix all the bugs that were logged in comments but I’ve fixed a few others that I found along the way, tweaked some of the things that I didn’t feel were quite right and squeezed in some new features – some of which were originally going to have to wait until version 1.3!

The added features since the last release are as follows

• Mini pop-up calendars in the admin panel to assist with choosing correct dates
  • Full categories system to allow events to be grouped by type (off by default)
  • Categories key is displayed below the calendar when categories are enabled
  • Events can now be links as well as mouse-overs
  • Items listed in todays events/upcoming events now sport links and mouse-overs.
  • Small tweaks to the style and display logic to improve the standard look
  • Issue of times not displaying according to WordPress settings fixed
  • Issue of extra padding/blank titles on the widgets fixed
  • Issue of mouse-overs not working in IE6 fixed

You may well notice other improvements which have escaped my memory.

Users of Calendar 1.2 beta will be pleased to discover that I decided to provide an upgrade path after all and so you should find that all you need to do is replace your current calendar directory with the new one and you should be away. The same of course applies to users of the current main release (1.1.2) but you should follow the upgrade instructions in the readme.txt file carefully in this case.

Please provide all feedback and any bug reports in the comments of this post. Please do not post feature requests. The release available in this post will be the final release if no bugs are found. If bugs are found they will be fixed and then the final version will be released. No new features will be added until the next major version.

Oh yes and how could I forget, you can download Calendar 1.2 Release Candidate 1 here.

1. Kevin Davidson Said,

August 11, 2008 @ 4:04 am

I added a category and then changed an existing calendar entry to that category. When I viewed the calendar, I did not see the color of the new category in the mouseover, or anywhere else. Using FireFox 3.0.1.

PS: Love the links!

August 11, 2008 @ 8:47 am

Did you enable categories in the Calendar Options screen?

3. Kevin Said,

August 11, 2008 @ 5:29 pm

Enabling categories fixed the issue. Thanks!

Besides the colors working, what does enabling categories accomplish?

August 11, 2008 @ 6:34 pm

Pretty much it just enables the colours, plus it shows the key below the calendar as to what the colours mean.

Turning categories off doesn’t remove them in the admin panel because categories have now been added deep within the code and database of calendar such that they can never truly be turned off (although if you turn them off in the admin panel your users never see anything to do with them and you can safely ignore all references to categories in the admin panel).

The notion here is a bit like blog categories. You can choose not to use them (remove the widget from your theme so they are not shown) but you still have to put all entries in a category (the default) and you always see which category they are placed in in the admin panel.

5. Kevin Said,

August 12, 2008 @ 8:53 pm

I see the key displayed below the calendar now, but there are no colors on the key, just the category names. The calendar now shows the category colors OK.

August 12, 2008 @ 9:52 pm

If possible can you link me to your calendar so I can see how everything is rendering on your site? This sounds like a bug you have found.

7. Kevin Davidson Said,

August 13, 2008 @ 5:08 am

I’ve sent the link via email. I see now that it fails under FireFox 3.0.1, but looks OK under Internet Explorer.

August 13, 2008 @ 10:18 am

Thanks for the link. I found it was all to do with assumptions I’d made about how styles handled tables. I have fixed the issue and put the new version on the download link in the post above.

Simply delete your plugins/calendar directory and replace with the one in the archive. Everything should start working properly.

9. Kevin Said,

August 13, 2008 @ 9:17 pm

And indeed as you say, everything works properly. Thanks very much.

August 16, 2008 @ 12:04 am

Excellent and thank you very much for the donation.

As a note to all I found a few minor issues with the RC myself during some recent testing so I have gone ahead and fixed those issues and updated the file on the download link in the post above.

Fixes include some HTML formatting, mention of the current timezone when entering times and the ability to restore the style (by way of a tick box) should you mess it up/lose it and wish to return to what Calendar came loaded with.

If I get no bugs reported in the next week I will push this releases live as the final version 1.2 on wordpress.org and this site.

11. Johan Said,

August 18, 2008 @ 7:03 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your great Calender. I have one question though…. how can i get a list of upcoming events in the sidebar? Do i need to add some code like the {calendar} tag in the page where i would like to display the calendar?

Thanks!
    Johan

12. Harvey Winesack Said,

August 19, 2008 @ 5:40 pm

I finally got around to playing with the RC, and most things look real good! I did find one problem with the popup calendars that when you choose a month or year from the dropdown, it closes the popup without selecting a date. I see this behavior in Firefox 3.0.1, but not in IE 7. I checked out the homepage for the developer of the calendar, and the same problem exists with the examples he has, so it’s not your plugin that’s the problem.

One possible solution is to drop the dropdown menus as the default ‘>’ buttons it seem to work fine in FF 3.0.1 and IE7. I currently don’t have access to other browsers so I don’t know if this breaks something else though.

13. Kevin Said,

August 19, 2008 @ 6:54 pm

Johan, there are two Calendar Widgets for Today’s Events and Upcoming Events. Configure them through Widgets on the Design tab in the WP admin interface.

14. Johan Said,

August 20, 2008 @ 9:48 am

Thanks Kevin,

Only problem is that i don’t use a widget template :(

Is there a way to implement some code in my sidebar to show upcoming/today’s events?

Thanks
    Johan

August 21, 2008 @ 11:39 am

Johan, I got a similar question in e-mail which I replied to but I can’t remember if it was you (I’ve been away and just replied to a lot of mail), but you need to call a couple of functions in your theme’s sidebar.php

todays_events()
    upcoming_events()

Called in this way (obviously placed in the right location for your theme) they will perform in the same way as the widgets. Remember to activate todays events/upcoming events in the calendar options screen and also to ensure that you have an event today and events in the future otherwise the lists will not show at all.

Harvey, I will look into this but I tested with the latest version of Firefox in the first place and everything does seem to work OK here. Perhaps its a difference between Windows and Linux. I shall investigate and post back.

August 21, 2008 @ 10:14 pm

As a small correction to the above, the function calls should be echoed, so would look like this:

echo todays_events();
    echo upcoming_events();

August 21, 2008 @ 11:32 pm

Harvey, I have managed to recreate the problem. It seems to just be with Firefox 3.0.1

I thought I originally tested on the latest version of Firefox but it must have been the 2.x branch.

Are others in favor of Harvey’s suggested fix?

May 30, 2009 @ 2:36 pm

Calendar 1.2.2 has now been released.