Update on Calendar

Its about time I offered my users an update given its a while since I last discussed the plugin.

I have been very busy on other things recently which means progress has been rather slow and bitty. That being said most of the requested and accepted features from my last consultation have now been implemented and have been seen to work on my development machine.

The following features have been added since there was last an update

• Changeable styles. Inline styles are no more and there is now a dedicated area on the new Calendar options page to edit the stylesheet directly.
  • Users other than Administrator can edit events if the Administrator changes a setting on the Calendar options page.
  • There is now an option to show the event author on the pop up for each event. This is set on the Calendar options page. This also means that for budding developers there is now a user ID by each event in the database allowing interesting things to be done with the plugin data.
  • There is a set of drop down boxes to jump straight to a given year and month. This can be shown or hidden based on a setting on the Calendar options page.
  • The description can now be any length. There is a text box to show this fact on the manage events screen instead of the small box that was there before.
  • The dates can be selected from pop up mini-calendars meaning you don’t have to check somewhere else if you are choosing the right date. This system also prevents you from selecting a finishing date which is before the starting one which caused some problems when done accidentally in the past.
  • The 30 character limit for the event title is now visibly enforced so that users are not surprised by their title appearing truncated.
  • HTML errors have been fixed by ensuring that all styling is placed in the header of the page and not in the body.
  • Seeing as WordPress 2.5 has recently been released, compatibility with this was coded in. This brings the range of WordPress branches the plugin is compatble with to 5; 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5. It is of course worth noting that the only versions you should be running are the 2.0 legacy branch and the latest 2.5 branch.

Two main features do remain to be implemented. These are

• Event Categories
  • Upcoming Events

All this means that a release does draw ever closer. I have been spurred on in particular by the release of 2.5 as I note that the current Calendar version doesn’t support 2.5. I have also been getting increasing support requests concerning things that don’t work on Calendar 1.1. I ask that you all hold off on these requests; you can be sure your issue will be fixed in Calendar 1.2.

Most importantly thanks for your patience and for deciding to use my plugin.

19 Comments »

1. Rik Said,

April 12, 2008 @ 12:52 am

Hi Kieran, thank you for this plugin update. I have an issue that I hope you’ll be able to shed some light on.

For another website I’m working on (hosted by Godaddy), I’m getting a 404 page not found when I’m trying to access /calendar using IE. However, the page will show up when I access it under /wp-calendar.php. Even so, I can’t navigate the month.

The strange thing is that I have no problem using calendar on my personal website (not hosted by Godaddy) with IE. So, do you think this could be a server issue?

Note however, Godaddy or not, everything works on Firefox.

April 12, 2008 @ 9:34 am

The 404 error has been fixed in the development version, see comments from the last update

3. Suzy Massey Said,

April 14, 2008 @ 9:25 pm

Kieran, thanks so much; I look forward to the update.

cheers!

4. Ian H. Said,

April 17, 2008 @ 6:07 am

Keiran,
    Thanks so much for this plugin – I have been looking everywhere for a simple events calendar that does recurrences, so this is perfect for me! One question – is there a way of having events that occur on the same day sort by starting time instead of by ID? Thanks, and great plugin…

April 17, 2008 @ 8:57 am

Ian, yes and no.

If the events are occurring for the first time on a given day then yes, they will be ordered by time. If however you say have one event that is occurring for the first time at 11am and then an event that occurred for the first time a week ago at 10am and re-occurs today then the 11am one will end up being above the 10am one because events that are occurring for the first time are checked for first. Because each type of check has a separate SQL query there is no way for the second process (recurring events) to know that any events have been pulled out already, let alone ones with a certain time stamp.

I’m working on a slightly new format in how events are pulled out in the new version for other reasons, but it *might* be that the new method will allow me to fix the time issue. Its not just a simple matter of changing an ORDER BY clause though so I make no promises.

6. Ian H. Said,

April 17, 2008 @ 2:21 pm

Alright – thanks! I just went into the database and re-ordered them for now, but good to know that for future reference. I eagerly anticipate the release of the update!

7. Rik Said,

April 18, 2008 @ 7:11 pm

I see. That is good to hear. Thank you. I’m anxiously waiting for its release.

8. Joe Said,

April 22, 2008 @ 1:12 am

Just wanted to stop by and say Thanks for such a great plugin.
    I am sure 1.2 will kick some serious butt.. Cheers and good luck with the development. We all appreciate it.

April 22, 2008 @ 7:32 am

Thanks Joe :)

10. Martin Said,

April 24, 2008 @ 10:53 am

Hey,

Joe, you are absolutely right. I was just wondering if you have any prediction of the release date.

Greetz

11. Boggle Said,

April 24, 2008 @ 12:27 pm

Will it still be htaccess dependant?

April 24, 2008 @ 5:51 pm

Martin and Boggle, your questions are answered in my previous post about Calendar

13. Martin Said,

April 24, 2008 @ 8:54 pm

Okay, i’m sorry.

April 25, 2008 @ 3:00 pm

No problem. It will be released soon I promise – I just want to make sure everything works and all requested features have been implemented before letting it loose :)

May 3, 2008 @ 8:19 pm

An update for you Ian :)

In creating “Todays Events” and “Upcoming Events” widgets I re-engineered the way events were pulled out so that now everything is ordered by time on each day. Squashed a few other bugs as well, not long till beta release now I feel…

16. Ian H. Said,

May 3, 2008 @ 9:16 pm

Sweet! That’s awesome – I’m eagerly anticipating the release! Thanks for doing that reorg.

May 7, 2008 @ 4:38 pm

Calendar 1.2 Beta 1 has now been released:

August 7, 2008 @ 10:11 am

Calendar 1.2 Release Candidate 1 has now been released

May 30, 2009 @ 2:38 pm

Calendar 1.2.2 has now been released.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI