On Friday 30th November, the School of Computing plays host to the CompSoc Linux install fest – a chance for new users of Linux to get a copy of the operating system on their own machine so they can use it at home and further their learning and enjoyment of the OS.
The event takes place at 2pm and goes on until the School closes at just after 5pm. During that time we hope to offer a full range of opportunities for attendees.
- Have a Linux distribution of your choice installed on your machine
- Dual boot setup with Windows will be supported
- Talks on secure computing and Linux basics from staff and students
- Linux experts available to answer all your Linux orientated questions
- Demonstrations of a range of Linux and KDE/Gnome window manager features
There will of course be the usual trip to the pub after the event, and I’m hoping line up of things we are offering is going to persuade many people its worth coming along and giving Linux a try.
I’m proud to be doing my bit to spread the use of open source software and am looking forward to showing people that it really is easy to install and use Linux. Every since the day I first used Linux I’ve never looked back.